Tuesday, September 10, 2013

{{Link}} "16 (+15) Ways I Blew My Marriage" + "Marriage Advice I Wish I Would Have Had"

A few weeks ago, I happened upon this link (I think he uses an occasional swear word): "16 Ways I Blew My Marriage" I had read this article before, but Charles hadn't. Since we were taking some special time together, I thought it might be nice to take turns reading each of the reasons. We cuddled-up together and started reading.

Each suggestion made a lot of sense. Honestly, I felt pretty good about myself each time we read a reason which we were already implementing in our marriage. There are plenty of stories of couples who just "grew apart" or "fell out of love," and that's not something Charles and I want for our marriage. Frankly, I don't think anyone who sincerely loves their spouse wants their marriage to end - even those in relationships which are having troubles.

Even in happy marriages, his suggestions make a lot of sense. A few days after reading the article, Charles showed up after work in nice, clean clothes, freshly-shaved, and smelling quite nice. That was his way of utilizing the "Don't Stop Trying to Be Attractive" suggestion. While I love my tired, jeans-and-t-shirt, working man any day, it's nice when he makes an extra effort to be attractive just for me.

At the end of the initial 16 suggestions, it turned out he had written another 15. "The OTHER 15 Ways I Blew My Marriage" This time, neither of us had read the article and, since we enjoyed the first one, we dove right in! A few days later, a friend shared this link on Facebook: "Marriage Advice I Wish I Would Have Had" Though his list was much shorter, his suggestions made tons of sense too.

Since then, all these words of advice have been rattling around in my head. Ten years from now, I don't want to be the couple that just "lost it." I want to continually be working on our marriage, and keeping it strong - as it should be. I'm very seriously considering writing these different "ways" down somewhere where I can see them, or at least one or two I want to work on at the time. It's so easy to just fall into a rut and let your relationship sink by the wayside. I would rather take the time to maintain our relationship then have to piece together a relationship which has been needing some TLC for quite a while.

Either way, I would definitely suggest anyone who is serious about any romantic relationship read these three articles and find ways to implement them. Even if all you do is work on one thing at a time.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
;