Wednesday, September 11, 2013

We Have So Much

I always tend to think that Charles and I don't have much. Frankly we don't, compared to many U.S. families. Compared to families in, say, Nigeria, we have quite a lot. Either way, I am very grateful for what we do have. We do have a room to ourselves in a house with running water, electricity, and family just a shout away. We do have a nice - albeit secondhand - bed. We do have three adorable, cuddly cats and a loyal dog. We do have enough money to suit our immediate needs and set a tiny bit aside for baby essentials. We do have a loving relationship and budding fondness for our little one in the making. We do have so much, comparatively.

Just this morning, I had the opportunity to see my obstetrician and check on our baby's development. Everything looked just as it should - skull, spine, and all! What an immense blessing to have the equipment and medical professionals necessary to monitor fetal development, especially after what has happened before.

No, living in an upstairs bedroom of my mother's house isn't an ideal situation, especially with a baby on the way. But we're so very blessed to have family willing to help us out when we needed a place to move, and it's solely our space. How many people don't even have that much?

No, we aren't rolling in money, but we certainly have what we need at this particular moment. We have food, water, air conditioning, a roof over our heads, and we're not falling into more and more debt. Sure, we have debts to pay, but most of them were incurred by my darling husband before we got married. The other notable debts are our car, which is a perfectly reasonable debt, and a credit card which got us through the difficulties of living on one minimum-wage salary when we were first married.

I've just been looking around our room. I enjoy my time in here, and actually feel quite comfortable. Even with the basics, we make it work. Frankly, that's something I've been saying a lot lately: I'm just trying to make do with what we have. It's easy to think we don't have much, but we really are rolling in the blessings.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
;