Monday, November 26, 2012

Cooking from Scratch

A while back, a recipe I was attempting called for taco seasoning. Unfortunately, I had a total of absolutely none. So I said to myself, "Self, there must be a way to make taco seasoning. You don't just grow it." I did a search (where? Pinterest, of course) and ended up here. *cue singing angels from Heaven*

Whaaat? That's right. You can make taco seasoning! And it's inexpensive and totally delicious in a taco soup. BUT THAT'S NOT ALL. You can make other things from the ingredients you already have in your house. Don't have tortillas? Make them. Want a cake or a batch of delicious brownies? The box is not mandatory! Is it weird that I didn't totally grasp that until I was in my twenties? Maybe. Don't judge me.

Since I didn't do a whole lot of intense cooking before Charles and I got married, (granted, I could cook pretty much anything out of the family cookbook without much trouble - I don't want you to think I was altogether incompetent) and I wanted some brownies a few days ago, I had to do a search for a good recipe. I landed here, and since I didn't take pictures, I'll let you take a little stroll to his website.

Back? Good. Anyway, I made those brownies and they were super delicious and Charles loved them (which is always a good thing.) Problem is, there were some left over because there are only two of us and the recipe makes a 9x13 pan-worth of brownies. Solution? Half the recipe. When I made them today, I put in half of everything (except I used two whole eggs because I didn't want to go through the trouble of splitting an egg in half.)

They turned out delicious again and, as they cooled, I proceeded to made the totally delicious pumpkin butter found in this post. Here's a picture of the brownies getting cozy with the finished pumpkin butter:

Ooh la la.
In the end, I was putting tiny spoonfuls of pumpkin butter on top of my brownie squares. Heaven! I would definitely recommend doing this for yourself. Let me know what you think. Enjoy!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
;