Tuesday, November 27, 2012

Burst Pipe

As previously explained, the word "adventure" is sometimes synonymous with "disaster." Today is one of those days. Charles and I moved into our new home in Plattsburg, MO about three weeks ago. It's definitely a work in progress, but it's perfect for us. I was taking a nap (one of the perks of being a childless homemaker) and woke up to a loud humming noise.

At first, I thought it was the heater. However, the humming was louder than normal. It almost sounded like someone was taking a shower. Since I was home alone and definitely not preparing to take a shower, that sound didn't bode well. I immediately jumped out of bed and went to investigate. It didn't take long for me to discover the puddle forming on our bathroom floor.

Crepes.

Hopping into action, I first attempted to turn off the water around the leak. No go. Then I high-tailed it to the front yard where I knew the water turn-off valve was for the whole house. I'm not sure why, because I had no idea how to work the thing. Next step? Mommy!

No, really. I called her like 7 times. No answer. Double crepes. Last resort? I called the city and asked them to turn off the water since my pipe was spewing water and I couldn't stop it on my own. A few minutes later, a nice man came down and turned the water off with a large pipe-like key. (Of course! Why didn't think of an obscenely long pipe key? Ugh.)

Finally, I got a hold of the owner of our house (we're renting to own) and she called the man who's been helping them get things fixed around the house. He came without delay, thankfully. A couple hours, a trip to the hardware store, and many curse words later, it was all fixed! He even put a new double breaker in our breaker box so we wouldn't have to flip the breaker every time we wanted hot water for something. Woohoo!!

I guess this adventure wasn't too terrible... although I definitely was freaking out for a bit there. My husband, trying to be all sympathetic, said "So, this is one of those days you wish were just a bad dream, huh?" Without pausing, I said, "I've definitely had worse." This doesn't even compare to how badly I wanted Sophia's diagnosis to be a bad dream. Comparatively, I've had a pretty good day, for sure.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
;