Saturday, April 6, 2013

Lemon Kick

I love waffles. They're so much better than pancakes, (unless said pancakes are made by my Grandpa and eaten with peanut butter and maple syrup.) A couple weeks ago, the hubby and I were perusing our local Hy Klas grocery store for goodies, and he "ooh"-ed over a lemon bundt cake.

Before I continue, I must include some back-story. My husband is very picky with two things: sweets and ties. For this reason, it took forever to pick out his wedding tie, and we had a small brownie at our wedding luncheon rather than a fancy cake. See, Charles prefers his sweets rather plain. A normal person, when presented with a heaping helping of cake, dives into the frosting on top, then the cake. Not Charles. He'd rather turn that cake upside-down and have nothing to do with the frosting. Truly, we make a good pair because he likes the dull inside parts, and I prefer the more flavorful bits.

So when we walked past the aforementioned bundt cake, I was shocked when he acted like it was the best thing ever. I happen to enjoy lemon treats, and he had never expressed any interest in anything like that before. I was tempted, but didn't feel like spending money that day. However, we picked it up a few days later when we were in the mood for something sweet again.

He proceeded to express his satisfaction audibly as he wolfed down the middle parts. I'll admit it was good, but not something I couldn't have whipped up myself if I actually owned a bundt pan. That got me thinking. If he liked it so much, what could I make which would be similarly-pleasing, but wouldn't break the budget?

I began by looking up lemon bundt cake recipes. I landed on this recipe from Chocolate, Chocolate and More. It sounded good, and all I needed was lemons! (Well, I didn't have cake flour either, but that wasn't difficult to substitute with some all-purpose flour and corn starch.)

Long story short, I used the recipe for some lemon muffins, and skipped the glaze. They were delicious and perfectly lemony. I'm sure I would have liked the glaze, but who really needs the extra calories? We ended up with over two dozen, and munched on them happily for several days.

But now I want more lemon. You see, when I find I like something, I must have it until I get utterly exhausted of it. Sometimes it's cheesy grits, other times it's cereal, occasionally it's something like pickles, shrimp, or fresh vegetables. Right now it's lemon.

Photo from here.
Mmm. Lemon.

Well, since I've decided I like lemon (drops, cake, frosting, cookies, muffins, in salsa...) I thought it might be fun to add lemon to one of my long-time favorite foods: waffles. People are always adding things to breads, cookies, and other treats, so why not waffles? I'm no culinary expert, though, so I searched Pinterest for some good recipes.

I've decided I want to try one of the following two: Crispy Lemon Waffles or this recipe for lemon pancakes (thrown into my waffle maker, of course.) I'm leaning toward the latter because it requires less ingredients, but we'll see. Maybe I'll throw together my own version. (Maybe not.)

Stay tuned.

What are some of your favorite uses for lemon?

Lora.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
;